- Executive Director of the NRA-ILA
- Con to the question "Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted?"
“Unfortunately this is another tragedy [referring to the May 23, 2014 University of Santa Barbara shooting] that was not prevented by gun control and there’s not one more… there is not another gun control law that could have been passed that would have prevented this awful situation from happening.
We can’t forget that the first three victims were stabbed to death. Now that’s not something that the national news media wants to talk about. A number of victims were hit by a car, gun control obviously wouldn’t have prevented that behavior either. They have very strict mental health rules with regards to firearm ownership in California. There are things that can and should be done, the National Rifle Association is interested in addressing these underlying problems. We have underlying problems with a lack of school security, a lack of armed security in our schools. We have a problem with a lack of prosecution coming out of [Attorney General] Eric Holder and Barack Obama’s administration, and we have a problem, no question, with regards to these gun control laws that leave people defenseless, and we have a problem with a mental health system that’s completely bankrupt…
[T]he blame needs to be placed on the politicians in California who time and time again their answer to these issues are more and more gun control laws. They have passed every gun control law imaginable and it hasn’t done a… thing, and that’s a tragedy in and of itself.”
NRA News, “Chris Cox ‘Unequivocally’ Supports Open Carry,” www.nranews.com, June 30, 2014
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Executive Director, NRA-ILA, 2002-present
- Chairman, Political Victory Fund, NRA
- Deputy Director, Federal Affairs Division, NRA, 2000-2002
- Former Federal Liaison, NRA-ILA
- Former lobbyist
- Former Legislative Aide, US Representative John Tanner (D-TN)
- BA, History, Rhodes College
- Contact Info:
- None found
- Quoted in:
- Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted in the United States? – Pro & Con Quotes