- Director of the Center for Gun Policy and Research at Johns Hopkins University
- Pro to the question "Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted?"
“When criminals get guns, they get them from friends, family, or from an underground market source. Without universal background check requirements, there is little deterrent to selling guns to criminals or gun traffickers. State laws mandating universal background checks deter the diversion of guns to criminals. The most comprehensive screening and background check processes, where potential gun purchasers apply in person for permits to purchase handguns, are associated with lower homicide and suicide rates…
Better regulation of gun sales is only part of the solution. Policies should make it extremely risky for criminals to illegally carry and use guns, and we must expand efforts to diffuse conflicts involving high-risk individuals before they are settled with guns.”
“Guns Kill People. And If We Had Universal Background Checks, They Wouldn’t Kill So Many,” www.newrepublic.com, June 26, 2014
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to guns and gun policies. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to guns and gun policies.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Director, Center for Gun Policy and Research, Johns Hopkins University
- Deputy Director for Research, Johns Hopkins Center for the Prevention of Youth Violence
- Former Director, PhD Program in Health and Public Policy, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Professor, School of Education’s Division of Public Safety Leadership, Johns Hopkins University
- Former Senior Research Fellow, Police Executive Research Forum
- ScD (Doctor of Science), Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 1990
- MPH, University of Michigan, 1985
- Contact Info:
- None found
- None found
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted in the United States?