- Former Governor of Florida
- Con to the question "Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted?"
“In this particular case [the Emanuel AME church shooting in Charleston, SC], the FBI made a mistake. The law itself requires a background check, but that didn’t fulfill their part of the bargain within the time that they were supposed to do.
We don’t need to add new rules, we need to make sure the FBI does its job. Because that person [Dylann Roof], should not have gotten a gun, should not — would not have passed a background check. The first impulse of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton is to take rights away from law- abiding citizens…
I think we need to focus on what the bigger issue is. It isn’t law-abiding gun owners.
Look, I have an A plus rating in the NRA and we also have a reduction in gun violence because in Florida, if you commit a crime with a gun, you’re going away. You’re going away for a long, long while.”
Washington Post, “6th Republican Debate Transcript, Annotated: Who Said What and What It Meant,” washingtonpost.com, Jan. 14, 2016
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Founder and President, Jeb Bush and Associates (consulting firm for clients including Barclays and Lehman Bros), 2007-2013
- Governor, State of Florida, 1999-2007
- Co-Founder, Liberty City Charter School, 1996 (Florida’s first charter school; closed in 2008)
- Florida Gubernatorial Candidate (unsuccessful), 1994
- Florida Secretary of Commerce, 1987-1988
- Former Chair, Dade County Republican Party
- Former Partner, Codina-Bush Real Estate Group
- Former executive, Texas Commerce Bank
- BA, magna cum laude, Latin American Studies, University of Texas at Austin, 1973
- Attended Phillips Academy, Andover, MA
- Contact Info:
- Twitter handle: @JebBush
- Converted to Catholicism from Episcopalian, 1995
- Son of 41st US President George H. W. Bush
- Brother of 43rd US President George W. Bush
- Married Columba Garnica Gallo, 1973
- Has three children, George, Noelle, and John “Jeb” Ellis, Jr.
- Quoted in:
- Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted in the United States? – Pro & Con Quotes