- Former Hunting Editor for Outdoor Life
- Now Con to the question "Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted?"
“In the matter of the pro-con firearms issue, I want to be on record as opposing any more gun control.”
Email to ProCon.org, June 8, 2015
[Editor’s Note: Prior to the June 8, 2015 statement above, Jim Zumbo was classified as “Pro” based on his Feb. 16, 2007 blog post in Outdoor Life titled “Assault Rifles for Hunters?,” quoted below.]
“The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue…
Excuse me, maybe I’m a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I’ll go so far as to call them ‘terrorist’ rifles.
To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let’s divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the prairies and woods.”
“Assault Rifles for Hunters?,” www.razoreye.net, Feb. 16, 2007
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Author, “Jim Zumbo Everything Outdoors” blog, Nov. 1, 2014-present
- Host, Jim Zumbo Outdoors Program, 2004-2013
- Hunting Editor, Outdoor Life, 1990-2007
- Western Editor, Outdoor Life, May 1978-Feb. 2007
- Speaker, NRA Great American Hunting Tour
- Former forester
- Former wildlife biologist
- BS, Forestry and Wildlife Biology, Utah State University
- AS, Forestry, Paul Smith’s College
- Twitter handle: @ZumboOutdoors