- Creator and Former Host of America's Most Wanted
- Pro to the question "Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted?"
“I’ve seen what guns do in America. I’m gun owner. I know about guns and I have guns, and I believe we need reasonable gun control. Many countries have all kinds of safeguards, and none have the violence we have—there were 11 murders in Chicago last weekend. I talked to the president and vice president about reasonable background checks—that’s all I’m talking about. We’re the richest country on the planet and we have the most violence. All the capitals of Western Europe combined don’t have as many homicides as Chicago does…
We’ve got to start somewhere, with reasonable gun control. We need to have what this country doesn’t have: A reasonable mental health system so when you go for a gun, they can see if you’re under psychiatric care — all the things you need to do in Canada or New Zealand or Australia or Japan. The things I’m proposing to the NRA are so simple and so much-needed because we’re a country of 350 million with about 450 million guns. There’s a way to start, and that’s some reasonable gun registration and background checks. So when people get upset about that — I’m a gun owner; no one’s gonna take my shotguns away or my 9 millimeters away. I’m probably the only guy in America who needs guns, I get so many death threats from nutcases.”
David Wilcox, “10 Things John Walsh Said about Gun Control, the NRA, and More,” www.auburnpub.com, July 14, 2014
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Host, The Hunt with John Walsh, CNN, July 13, 2014-present
- Host, The John Walsh Show, 2002-2004
- Creator and Host, America’s Most Wanted, Fox and Lifetime, Feb. 7, 1988-Oct. 12, 2012
- Founder, Adam Walsh Child Resource Center (merged with The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in 1990)
- Former hotel marketing executive
- BA, University of Buffalo, 1973
- His son Adam was abducted and murdered in 1981.
- Married to Revé Walsh, the couple have three living children (Meghan, Callahan, and Hayden).
- His and his wife’s efforts led to the Missing Children Act of 1982, the Missing Children’s Assistance Act of 1984, and the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act (2006).
- The current Amber Alert system is based on a “Code Adam” system put in place after Adam Walsh’s murder.
- Twitter handle: @john_walsh
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted in the United States?