- Former New York City Mayor and Cofounder of Mayors Against Illegal Guns
- Pro to the question "Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted?"
“First and most urgently, we need the President and Congress together to require background checks for all gun sales – including private sales at gun shows and online. These private sales now account for more than 40 percent of all gun sales nationally – which means that in 2012 alone, there were more than six million gun sales that happened with no background checks…
Second, Congress should make gun trafficking a Federal crime. In New York City, 85 percent of the weapons that we recover from crime scenes come from out-of-state sources – but Federal laws designed to curb illegal sales across borders are incredibly weak. Criminals who traffic get a slap on the wrist…
The third legislative measure that the White House should support is limiting the availability of military-style weapons and high-capacity magazines with more than ten rounds. These guns and equipment are not designed for sport or home defense. They are designed to kill large numbers of people quickly. That’s the only purpose they have.”
“Mayor Bloomberg Delivers Opening Address at Johns Hopkins University Summit on Reducing Gun Violence in America,” www1.nyc.gov, Jan. 14, 2013
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Special Envoy for Cities and Climate Change, United Nations, 2014-present
- Former Mayor, New York City, Jan. 1, 2002-Dec. 31, 2013
- Chair, C40 Climate Leadership Group, 2010-2013
- Cofounder, Mayors Against Illegal Guns (now Everytown for Gun Safety), 2006-present
- Founder, Bloomberg Philanthropies
- Chairman, Board of Trustees, Johns Hopkins University, 1996-2001
- Launched Bloomberg News, 1990
- Founder, Innovative Market Systems (later Bloomberg LP), 1981
- Partner, Salomon Brothers, 1972-1981
- Entry level position, Salomon Brothers, 1966-1972
- MBA, Harvard Business School, 1966
- BS, Electrical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 1964
- Twitter handle: @MikeBloomberg
- As of Apr. 24, 2015, Bloomberg has donated over $3 billion to various causes and organizations.
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted in the United States?