- US Senator (R-KY)
- Con to the question "Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted?"
“Gun control laws only restrict access to responsible gun ownership. High risk individuals will still be able to acquire firearms even with an increase in prevention. I do not support any proposed gun control law which would limit the right to gun ownership by those who are responsible, law-abiding citizens.”
“Second Amendment,” www.paul.senate.gov (accessed Mar. 30, 2015)
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to guns and gun policies. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to guns and gun policies.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- United States Senator (R-KY), 2011-present
- Member, Senate Tea Party Caucus, 2011-present
- Recipient, TIME “100 Most Influential People,” 2013
- Founder, Southern Kentucky Lions Eye Clinic, 1995
- Founder, Kentucky Tax Payers United, 1994-2000
- Former practicing ophthalmologist, Bowling Green (KY)
- MD, Duke University School of Medicine, 1988
- Attended Baylor University, 1981-1984
- Contact Info:
- Born in Pittsburgh, PA on Jan. 7, 1963.
- Married with three sons.
- Son of Ron Paul, MD, former US Representative (R-TX) and Republican presidential candidate in 2008 and 2012.
- Twitter handle: @SenRandPaul
- Rand Paul left Baylor University before graduating in order to attend Duke Medical School.
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted in the United States?