- Reverend and Spokesperson for Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America
- Pro to the question "Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted?"
“Two years ago my mother and cousins were gunned down by a white supremacist during a prayer service at their beloved Mother Emanuel Church. That hate-filled man never should have gotten his hands on a gun, and yet, through a loophole, he was able to arm himself and take the lives of nine beautiful church-goers, peacefully in prayer. If a full background check had been completed, my mother, cousins and six other loved ones would still be alive today…
Between 2010 and 2016, the Charleston loophole allowed nearly 23,000 gun sales to dangerous people who would have failed a criminal background check because the check could not be completed within three business days. After the three-day period has expired, federal law allows gun stores to sell a gun to a prospective buyer, even though the background check is not complete…
Background checks that have been completed have blocked more than two million sales to people who failed a background check, and have saved countless lives.”
“Everytown, Moms Demand Action Applaud Rep. Clyburn’s Legislation to Close ‘Charleston Loophole’ That Allowed Charleston Shooter to Obtain Gun without a Complete Background Check,” momsdemandaction.org, July 28, 2017
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Spokesperson, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America
- Member, Everytown for Gun Safety
- Self-employed event speaker, Mar. 2016-present
- Clinical Trauma Chaplain, Parkland Hospital (Dallas, TX), Sep. 2012-Mar. 2016
- Associate Pastor, Rice Chapel AME Church, Aug. 2009-Jan. 2016
- Chaplain and Substance Abuse Counselor, North Texas VA Medical Center, Aug. 2007-Oct. 2010
- MDiv, Theology, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary, 2007
- BA, Political Science, Johnson C. Smith University, 1980
- Twitter: @RisherRev
- Twitter: @RisherRev
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted in the United States?