- US Senator (R-TX)
- Con to the question "Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted?"
“What I think is two things, number one, that restricting the right to keep and bear arms is unconstitutional.
The Second Amendment is an integral part of the Bill of Rights. And what it means is, politicians cannot come and strip the guns from law-abiding Americans. But, number two, it’s misguided policy. If you look at the jurisdictions with the strictest gun control laws, almost without exception, they have the highest crime rates and the highest murder rates.
If you look at the jurisdictions that most vigorously protect our right to keep and bear arms, almost without exception, they have the lowest crime rates and the lowest murder rates. Gun control policies don’t work. And they’re contrary to the Constitution.”
“Texas Sen. Ted Cruz on the Deficit, Gun Rights, Legal Immigration,” www.pbs.org, Jan. 7, 2013
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to guns and gun policies. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to guns and gun policies.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- US Senator (R-TX), Jan. 3, 2013-present
- Lawyer, Morgan, Lewis, & Bockius, LLP, 2008-2013
- Solicitor General, Texas, Jan. 9, 2003-May 12, 2008
- Former Director of Policy Planning, US Federal Trade Commission
- Former Associate Deputy Attorney General, US Justice Department
- Domestic Policy Advisor, George W. Bush presidential campaign, 1999-2001
- Partner, Cooper, Carvin, & Rosenthal (now Cooper & Kirk, LLC), 1997-1998
- Law Clerk, William Rehnquist, US Supreme Court, 1996
- Law Clerk, J. Michael Luttig, US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1995
- JD, magna cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1995
- AB, cum laude, Public Policy, Princeton University, 1992
- Contact Info:
- Born in Calgary, Alberta, Canada on Dec. 22, 1970.
- Full name is Rafael Edward Cruz.
- Married to Heidi Cruz with whom he has two daughters, Caroline and Catherine.
- Twitter handle: @SenTedCruz
- Quoted in:
- Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted in the United States? – Pro & Con Quotes